Turning Point Academy
4815 Dalton Street
To establish an educational structure and culture that inspires the children, the parents and the teachers to give their best, to pursue their destiny and to develop their unique potential.
Turning Point Academy opened in August of 2006, the first Public Charter School to open in Prince George’s County. As part of a network of private and public schools dedicated to the development of character in students and families, our school was founded on and implements the “Hyde Process” .
Behind the "Hyde Process" is the Hyde School. The Hyde School began in 1966 when math teacher Joseph Gauld believed that the existing educational system was overly focused on student achievement rather than character. Mr Gaud started the Hyde School to operate under a different set of priorities than other schools. The school began with a focus on Five Words: Courage, Integrity, Leadership, Curiosity, and Concern, and the cardinal principle that every individual was born with a unique potential that defines a destiny.
Family Education is an integral part of a TPA education. Our program focuses on understanding ourselves, our family, and the philosophy of the school. Parents and students are taught the Five Words and the Five Principles, upon which our community is based.
The Five Words are:
The Five Principles are:
- Destiny - Each of us is gifted with a Unique Potential.
- Humility - We believe in a power and a purpose beyond ourselves.
- Conscience - We achieve our best through character and conscience.
- Truth - Truth is our primary guide.
- Brother’s Keeper - We help others achieve their best.
Profound personal and family growth is contingent upon the commitment of all family members to focus on themselves, their attitudes and the role they play in holding the family back and pushing the family forward. To this end, we also focus on 10 Priorities
- Truth over harmony
- Principles over rules
- Attitude over aptitude
- Set high expectations and let go of the outcome
- Value success and failure
- Allow obstacles to become opportunities
- Take hold and let go
- Create a character culture
- Humility to ask for and accept help
- Inspiration: Job#1