Volunteer Policy & Background Check FAQs
All volunteers – such as mentors, interns, tutors, chaperones, and volunteers working in concession stands and at gate receipts at athletic events must undergo a fingerprint background check, child protective service clearance, and training on reporting suspected child abuse at least 14 days in advance of the day field trip, overnight trip or activity on or off school property.
A fingerprint background check must be initiated through the PGCPS Fingerprinting Office before performing duties and the child protective services clearance must be initiated through Human Resources.
For more information go to the PGCPS website School Visitors, Volunteers page -https://www1.pgcps.org/fingerprinting/
Background Unit Contact Information:
Hours of Operation 8:00 a.m. - 3:45 p.m. Monday - Friday
Sasscer Administration Building
14201 School Lane, Room 128
Upper Marlboro, Maryland 20772
All volunteers, except one-time event volunteers (i.e. chaperone for one school dance, or career day participant) are required to complete the assigned SafeSchools training modules prior to volunteering.
Upon completion of each training module, the volunteer should provide you with a copy of their certificates of completion.
Three (3) modules have been assigned to volunteers to complete.
- They are PGCPS Mandatory Reporting of Child Abuse and Neglect;
- PGCPS Student Safety Procedural Changes;
- and Bloodborne Pathogen Exposure Prevention.
Any parent/guardian who needs assistance covering the cost of a fingerprint background check, and whose child(ren) qualify for free and reduced-priced meals may request a waiver of the background check fee by providing a copy of their eligibility letter from the PGCPS Department of Food and Nutrition Services.
- For general information on policies: Student Safety Resource Toolkit - https://www.pgcps.org/safety-tool-kit/
- For Information on training requirements: Required Training For Volunteers And Contractors - https://www.pgcps.org/required-training/
- For answers to questions on policies: Background Checks And Volunteers FAQ -https://www1.pgcps.org/page.aspx?Pageid=234147&id=238292
- For details on fingerprinting, locations, costs, etc:, download the document on PGCPS